Gary and I spent several hours Friday night cleaning the floors of footprints and dust, and then 5 1/2 continuous hours on our hands and knees staining them on Saturday night. We used Carlysle's Bradford Umber, and it was not too hard although we were both pretty stiff by the end of it!
A couple of boards went a bit darker than the rest, but in true Carlysle-customer-service style we called the next day (a Sunday!) and the lady who answered explained we could use mineral spirits to lighten it a bit, which worked perfectly. There are also a couple of small spots where the stain didn't take, probably where glue got on the boards, but the nice things about rustic flooring is that it doesn't need to be perfect!
Tonight was the first coat of tung oil...one of four...and it was so simple to put on...you can see the difference between the pictures. It is wet of course, and the last two coats are more of a matte, so it won't end up this shiny, but it looks BEAUTIFUL! :)
Oh, and please excuse the outfit...you don't exactly wear your Sunday best! :)